[Simh] VAX/VMS

Thomas Merritt simh at tj.merritts.org
Wed Feb 17 03:01:16 EST 2016

That is a pretty Intel centric view of history.  The original architecture was developed by AMD.  The architecture was initially called x86-64 by AMD and was renamed right before the public launch to AMD64.  SUSE was involved in the development of the gcc port and linux port, didn’t wan’t to take the risk of of changing all of the x86_64 references to amd64, so the x86_64 name persists.  The first Intel chips got a number of items wrong that were never issues on the released AMD chips.  The NX bit was not in all of AMD’s development spins, but was discussed publicly on the x86_64 mailing list prior to the release of the first Athlon64 chips.  When Intel later released their first x86_64 compatible chips they did not include the NX bit and would not run Linux correctly.  Microsoft, having early access to the Intel chips, did not have issues with the 64-bit version of Windows as I recall.  Both Intel and AMD have made enhancements over the years to the AMD64 (ne x86_64) architecture.  The AMD and Intel flavors of virtualization support are different, AMD’s Pacifica is well thought out, Intel took four iterations on Virtualization to get to what they have today.  Because of the quick response on the Intel side, they were able to stay competitive in the marketplace.  If they had continued to pursue the Itanium route for 64-bit, they would ultimately have lost the market to AMD.  Fortunately for Intel, they included enough AMD compatibility to remain competitive.  They had huge advantages on the semiconductors side of the house, that has allowed them to be the dominate player that they are today.

— TJ