[Simh] What is CDC OS?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Feb 16 14:01:36 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> However, the book has some programs that claim to take advantage of the
> CDC OS and utilize a card reader.

​Yup, IMO, part of why Pascal I/O was dorked was because he used the
read/write semantics of the CDC systems.   It very screwy and simple in
nature.  Don't expect much.

It's been a while since I used them, but my memory is that the Kronos, NOS
and SCOPE all used the same semantics for batch programs.   I never ran COS
or MACE.

I still know a couple of folks that might remember - Tektronix had two CDC
systems (1) and I one of my old colleagues from those days that was a
programmer for the CDC Center(2), I'm working with again.  If you have
specific questions send them to me off list and I'll see if I can get you
in contact.

Clem

1) As I have mentioned I helped to write the original IP/TCP implementation
for VMS, besides our 11/70 running Unix.  The other side of that link was
these CDC systems.

2) In one of my favorite all time quotes that I wish I had said.  Bill
Price who had been one of the B5000 designers and was then working with us
in Tek Labs when the Tek CDC team was renamed from the "Scientific Computer
Center" to the "Computer Science Center".  Bill hears this and quips:
 "That's like calling a strip mine and archeology dig."

​