[Simh] VAX/VMS

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Tue Feb 16 10:25:08 EST 2016

I think IBM chose the 8088 over the Motorola offerings because it would be easier for software vendors to port their z80 CPM software to the 808x given the (mostly) same instruction set and the 808x segmented memory looked like a z80’s 64k memory space if you ignored the segment registers.

The 8088 was chosen over the 8086 because it was easier (and cheaper) to interface the then common 8 bit peripheral chips.