[Simh] EXT :Re: simh on RaspBerry Pi

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 15 14:02:09 EST 2016

On 2016-02-15 19:53, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 1:48 PM, Hittner, David T (IS) <david.hittner at ngc.com> wrote:
>>
>> LAT runs fine over the (wired) Ethernet port.
>> LAT doesn’t run over wireless Ethernet without major help from the wireless hardware or unless it’s tunneled over IP.
>
> I'm still baffled.  Why doesn't it?  802.11 has the same MAC layer service as Ethernet -- broadcast, multicast, unicast, 48 bit addresses, etc.  What specifically does LAT do that doesn't work on 802.11?  Is it a standards issue, or a case of defective implementations?

Trying to recall what I might have read/understood from somewhere, the
problem is that WiFi might look like ethernet, but there are some
important differences. One of these is that the switch/router actually
*knows* the MAC addresses that are connected, as in the card/controller
identities. Which, unlike a normal ethernet, means that if you add a
device with a different mac address to the interface, the router at the
other end will not learn this, and will not forward packets to you the
way you would expect it to work on an ethernet.

WiFi is not, in fact, ethernet "compatible". It only appears to be if
you don't look too closely.

	Johnny