[Simh] simh on RaspBerry Pi

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 15 11:37:37 EST 2016

On 2016-02-15 16:15, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 9:01 AM, Wilm Boerhout <wboerhout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Will Senn schreef op 15-2-2016 om 14:26
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Are you documenting the setup process for your endeavors, or just blogging about the result? I think it would be interesting to see how you clustered those Pi Vaxen as much as to know it was possible. I've got a few Pi around looking for something to cluster around...
>> There are three parts to a successful setup:
>>
>> 1. Since each Pi has only one Ethernet interface, make sure you use a
>>    wired connection (wireless isn't real Ethernet)
>
> Well, Wireless is 802.11 which indeed isn't 802.3 / Ethernet.  But that's not really relevant.  The question is whether it uses Ethernet addressing and offers an Ethernet-compatible MAC layer API, and 802.11 certainly does.  You can run SimH Ethernet just fine over a wireless LAN.  I've run PDP11 SimH that way with no problems.

Actually, I have run into problems. The broadcast domain, as well as the
Unicast have slight differences to Ethernet, which makes it sometimes
fail in subtle ways.
Having a second mac address on a WiFi interface, one that is used by
simh, though tun/tap, does not work that well with WiFi. Unfortunately.

I've definitely had problems keeping it working under OS X at least. And
I'm pretty sure I've read of others having the same problem.

	Johnny