[Simh] Console floppy and VAX 780

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Mon Feb 15 08:38:24 EST 2016

Hi,

I’m trying to boot http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/DEC/vax/vms/BB-D782B-BE__VMS_V1.5_1600.zip, mostly for interest’s sake. I presume this is an installation tape of some sort.
I’ve tried on the VaxSserver 3900 simulator, but always seem to get a “DevOffline,” message for Mua0:, the magnetic tape reader.
I was wondering if I might have better luck with the VAX 11/780. I don’t actually have real hardware of any kind. The reason I was asking about console floppies is that, as far as I know, I can’t directly boot from tape on the 780, at least not with the SIMH “boot,” command.
If this is something other than an installation tape, of course, the whole process isn’t worth the trouble :)

Thanks for any help,
Zack.