[Simh] Sounds

Kevin Handy khandy21yo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:22:55 EST 2016

I worked at a timesharing sevice that has a computer room with a PDP-11/34,
a ODO-11/70, both with tape drives and RP06. Also included in the mix was a
large air conditioner, and a humidifier. When backup to tape was being run,
the total noise level was incr4edible. The humidifier wasd necessary
because otherwise the static would build up so high you couldn;t touch
anything without causing sparks.

The 11/70 had a remote diagonisyic cpmsole, so no blinkenlights. It finally
had a problem where it would frequently crash, and field service couldn't
find the problem, so it was replaced with an 11/83 with a TSV05 taoe. The
sound level dropped by an amazing amount.

Nowodays, many people haven't even heard a dot-matrix printer grinding
away, let alone the huge mass of fans that seemed to make up most of an
11/70. Daisy weel printers are also extremely rare now. Line printers
(drum, chain, printronix) seem to be nonexistant any more, but were how
most of us thought about computers.

At college, I had classes that used a VAX 780 VMS, but ut had so many users
on it that it could take 15 minutes just to log in.  Great fun when you had
an assignment due the next day.