[Simh] SIMH and physical hardware

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 10 10:50:41 EST 2016

On 10-Feb-16 00:41, Zachary Kline wrote:
> This is around 50% humorous, but it’s still a thing I’ve been thinking about lately. From a newbie’s perspective, all SIMH machines are very similar. The worst thing about emulation is that the “feel,” of the original hardware doesn’t seem to be there. Simh can emulate tons of hardware from different manufacturers, but none of that will tell me what it was like to actually use the devices in a physical sense.
> As a blind user, I’m doubly interested in this kind of physicality because I experience the world through touch and sound. I have little conception of the shape or size of many of these notional machines, and they are all reduced to various abstractions at a console prompt. It’s hard to imagine a thing I was far too young to experience.
> I was reminded of an Apple II emulator I saw once, sadly not accessible, which made the appropriate disk drive noises in use. Its kind of useless from a  practical standpoint, but a lot of my interest in these machines isn’t practical to begin with. I want to explore an earlier kind of computing, but don’t expect to get a job with it or have anything beyond some entertainment.
> I really don’t know what, if anything, can be done to bridge this weird disconnect. Actual hardware is probably gradually fading out, and in any case probably wouldn’t be accessible from my perspective anyway.
>
> Any thoughts? Apologies for the disjointed post, it’s rather late. ;)

It's perfectly reasonable to see with other senses.

One good source is youtube videos.  There are a lot of them with audio
of computer peripherals.

Here are a few:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P91860AuF5M data products line printer
printer debug  & ope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8LKelTBuw Drum printer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSEvVxdJNIw Calcomp 565 plotter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHgpmwIkIgg Spinwriter (Letter quality
printer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnGbcM-H8c 029 keypunch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RCgIrZiC6c IBM 083 card sorter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48uiLsF19s tour of IBM equipment at CHM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62NC1R6WLs IBM 1130 reading cards from
a 1442 reader/punch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMQ1qT_RFM Teletype ASR35 reading paper
tape.

Google search 'videos' for your choice of hardware and there's a good
chance you'll find more.

For physical size, nothing beats a museum, where you can also get a feel
for texture, relationship of components, and, if you're lucky,
interact.  If you have a good describer on tap, you can get maybe 20% of
that watching the videos with him/her.