[Simh] error

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Feb 9 17:15:48 EST 2016

On 2016-02-09 22:58, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> You may recall that older computers didn’t have a way to
> programmatically power themselves down.

Well, this isn't about powering down, but halting...

Older and older... It's actually more of a trait of newer computers...
Back when you had frontpanels and all that stuff, halting the computer
were considered normal. With the disappearance of most meaningful ways
to interact with computers at such low levels, halting the computer also
went away, as it wasn't that useful, and the question the becomes, how
would you restart it?

> VMS is one of those systems.

Er... VAX. VMS is an operating system. :-)

> When you shutdown a VMS system it closes all files and cleans up
> everything going on in the operating system then it displays a message
> which says something like “SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE - USE THE CONSOLE TO
> HALT THE SYSTEM” and then it goes into an infinite loop with interrupts
> disabled.  The simulator detects this condition which will never produce
> useful results from the simulated system again without operator
> intervention and allows you to do that.

Right.

> Would you want it to behave differently?

I think simh does a reasonable thing, if you ask me. It was a mistake
that the VAX didn't standardize how to halt or reboot the machine, but
that is not simhs fault.

And some VAXen do have the ability to power themselves down as well...
But it's all very model specific.

	Johnny