[Simh] PDP11 oddity with RSTS 9.6

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 13:25:25 EST 2016

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 6:19 PM, Gene Irwin <girwin1215 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the hardware list shows the lp0 device.
>
> Using start to start the system lists multiple controllers disabled, but they are all disk or tape.  lp isn't one of them.

It looks like you missed the INSTALL step.

The RSTS startup machinery ("INIT") is configured to start a specific SIL.  Initially that is the one SIL included on the installation media.  Once a SIL is selected, that sticks until you change it.

If you build another monitor (another SIL), nothing changes until you use the "INSTALL" command in the INIT dialog to make the newly built SIL the one you're going to run.  Having done that, you can also tweak the settings, for example memory allocation, for the current SIL using the DEFAULT command.

The currently selected SIL is shown in the system boot message that displays immediately after you issue the SIMH "boot" command.

With the right SIL ("RSTS") installed, I do see the LP device, and startup completes normally.

	paul