[Simh] PDP11 oddity with RSTS 9.6

Gene Irwin girwin1215 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:46:34 EST 2016

Hello guys,

I have tried simh 3.9 and 4.0 and have this odd issue.

I got a copy of a built rsts on rpo6, and the copies of the .tap files used
to gen this image.  it is v9.6.

If I boot the prebuilt hard drive image the system comes up just fine.

If I boot the tape and go through the sysgen process the hard drive image
that is built has no lp0: device in the monitor, and the spooler fails
during boot and keeps the rest of the start.com script from running, making
the system come up in a single user mode with job max at 2.

I've tried diferent processors (11/70 up to 11/94), LPT is enabled in simh,
and I'm not sure what to try next.

If I boot the prebuilt image and do show devices _LP0: is present.
If I boot the sysgen'd image and do show devices, there is no _LP0:

anyone got any ideas?