[Simh] Ultrix 4.0 and DEQNA-LOCK

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Aug 31 11:49:35 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> Huh. That really do sound like a bug. Since it don't happen on real
> hardware I would guess a simh issue. What kind of VAX are you emulating, by
> the way? The 3900?
>

> Yup - 3900. It didn't occur to me until now it might not be coincidence it
> panics with a segfault right after probing the network card...I wasn't
> noticing any network issues until now though I guess.

​Mumble.... real HW :-)  I agree with Johnny, I'm leaning something else is
not quite right in the simulation, but if someone has access to that
configuration and can verify/has verified, that would be helpful.   I've
completely forgotten what the configs were on the test lab systems in ZK
(and the one person I would want to ask who *might* have remembered, I've
lost track of these days).

As I said previously, much of that testing was done against Pathworks and
those folks generally knew where the bodies were buried on the Ethernet HW
development.     Since the Ultrix 4.5 SPD says it's an official config, it
means that was *supposed* to have been tried, but you never know for sure
unless you do

​---- there were certainly combinations of HW configs that were not always
covered 100% by the test matrix and the 3900 was one of the systems that
was in that category ​
​:-)​