[Simh] Ultrix 4.0 and DEQNA-LOCK

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Aug 30 11:04:40 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> Not sure there are any bugs here. Ultrix might just change it to run in
> DEQNA mode. Maybe because it didnät have a driver for running it in DELQA
> mode in 4.0? Just guessing here, but it don't look to me as if there
> actually is a bug anywhere.

​I've long since forgotten the details.    The 4.5 SPD says it should work
(modulo firmware - which I suspect simh is assuming that).   Johnny is
probably right.

Cory: Is there a reason you are running 4.0 not not something later than
4.4.   There a ton of bugs fixed in the 4.3/4.4 development.  The Vax has
sort of been forgotten by the Ultrix/Tru64 teams in favor of the PMAX and
the Alpha;  thus entropy had set in on the Vax code.   Even though 4.3 was
not an officially bug release, it had more bug fixes in that any previous
one, because a number of just got sick of dealing with it and there was a
3-4 week development hiatus where we just cleaned up things.​  IIRC this
was particularly true for the networking stack, because we were heaving
pathworks development then and the Pathworks stack kept turning up small
boundary conditions in the Unix side.

Anyway -- if you are going to run Ultrix, I highly recommend 4.5 - which
was really the most stable of the all the Ultrix releases.  For instance,
the SCSI stack is (finally) common with Tru64, as we back ported Fred's
Alpha stack to the Vax and PMAX.   As a result it will cover a lot more
devices.   I seem to remember we did some similar things in the Network
code too, but again I've forgotten (I was worrying about TruClusters at
that time but would occasionally consult to the Ultrix folks).