[Simh] newbie question about simh performance

gérard Calliet gerard.calliet at pia-sofer.fr
Wed Aug 17 10:54:16 EDT 2016

Hello,

I use simh to emulate VMS software, just a compiler impossible to port
out of VAX/VMS. The compiler uses a lot of CPU resource, and very few of
the others resources, like IO.

I see that my jobs consume, for example, 2mn of cpu, for 2 hours of
elapsed time, which seems bizarre because there is not a lot of IO and
the compile task is the only one on the emulated VAX.

I run simh on itanium i4 OpenVMS, and I hoped I would have good
performances on this fast computer.
I see that the simh process running on OpenVMS itanium does a lot of
(direct) IO.

Perhaps I forgot some good parameters? My .ini is minimal :

load -r ka655x.bin
attach NVR ka655.nvr
set cpu 512m
set -L rq0 rauser=18000000
attach rq0 datauser2.dsk
set xq mac=08-00-2B-3C-96-78
attach xq eth1
b cpu

Any help will be welcomed, advice, documentation...

Thanks,

Gérard Calliet

---