[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Veit, Holger holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Thu Apr 21 06:21:25 EDT 2016

Am 21.04.2016 um 11:31 schrieb Johnny Billquist:

>>> And since the connection can be assumed to be lossless, the protocol
>>> could be really simple, e.g. something like this:
>>>
>>> G=Guest, H=Host
>>>
>>> Example of a write operation..
>>>
>>> G:    WRITE-FILE
>>> H:    ACK
>>> // Now we send the file structure / word size etc
>>> G:    FILE-META-DATA
>>> G:    <file size and a bunch of OS specific stuff that is written to a
>>> second file>
>>> H:    ACK
>>> G:    FILE-DATA
>>> G:    <the actual data>
>>> G:    ACK
>>>
>>> Done.
>>>
>> And this is just a non-formalized textual description of how FTP, or
>> ZMODEM, or Kermit work. The fine print is in the "Now we send the file
>> structure / word size etc".
>
> I wouldn't go that far. FTP does not really work that way, unless you
> have a very loose definition of TCP and FTP. And I don't know much
> about XMODEM, but yes, this is a pretty close description of how
> KERMIT works.
>
>     Johnny
Yes, I know, that FTP uses two TCP channels on ports 20 and 21 for the
traffic, and a large number of higher incoming ports - a major nightmare
for firewalls. Beyond the necessary negotiations for that, and the use
of certain textual acknowledge codes, it effectively does no more than
the above for transferring a file than the above. It has quite a number
of additional commands to browse a directory tree, and other things, and
there is passive/active mode and quoted command extensions, but they are
not strictly necessary for the purpose.

What I wanted to emphasize, actually was the innocent looking "FILE META
DATA" because this turns out as a complex issue of translating one
_language_ into another. Directory/Record size/Valid filename
characters/Encoding/Word size/Endianness/number representation and much
more. This is something that one or the other side has to handle, and
it's likewise to become a great mess of the horrible TELNET protocol
which needs to deal with numerous OPTION extensions in the various RFCs
- and this, in principle, for both sides of the connections. No
criticism of the implementors of the simh TELNET interface (because I
myself tried to write a telnet server myself), but with respect to
standards, this is unfortunately a sunny-weather-implementation. One
should not underestimate the complexity of such an interface,
particularly if there is no restriction on either side.

Holger