[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 16:35:59 EDT 2016

> On 20 Apr 2016, at 23:25, Phil Budne <phil at ultimate.com> wrote:
>
> Ken.Cornetet wrote:
>> I guess I need to shout this:
>> ******* KERMIT DOES NOT WORK ON SIMH EMULATED RTE-6/VM ********
>
> Why not?
>
>> Kermit does not exist (and probably couldn't feasibly exist) on any earlier versions of RTE.
>
> Again, why not?
>
> Having just written a new shell for PDP-7 UNIX (because the original
> could not be found), I can't imagine much other than a lack of
> something resembling a serial console that would prevent _some_
> version/subset of KERMIT (or something similar like X or ZMODEM) from
> being cobbled together.

And since the connection can be assumed to be lossless, the protocol could be really simple, e.g. something like this:

G=Guest, H=Host

Example of a write operation..

G:	WRITE-FILE
H:	ACK
// Now we send the file structure / word size etc
G:	FILE-META-DATA
G:	<file size and a bunch of OS specific stuff that is written to a second file>
H:	ACK
G:	FILE-DATA
G:	<the actual data>
G:	ACK