[Simh] Way out idea for simh

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:25:03 EDT 2016

Kermit has something ,Ike this built into it over the serial line. Look I to its remote commands. Doesn't need anything beyond the existing serial or console port.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A-------- Original message --------From: Ken Cornetet <Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com> Date: 04/20/2016  1:47 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: simh at trailing-edge.com Subject: [Simh] Way out idea for simh

Actually, here’s an alternate way to allow easy file transfers. I’m starting to think this is a much better idea.

Create a new device for simh that is identical to a paper tape punch/reader except If the guest OS writes a magic string, the next character after the magic string is a command, and the following characters up to a newline are a file name.

From that point on, guest writes to the punch would write to the given file, and reads from the reader would read from the given file.

The command character would be “t” for open the file in text mode, “b” for open in binary mode, and “c” for close.

As an extension, if the file name contains shell wildcard characters, simh would return the matching file names when the guest reads the tape reader.

If the simh guest doesn’t support paper tape, then the device could be mapped to some other sort of simple IO device (like a serial port).

Again, perhaps not all simh machines could make use of this, but many could.