[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 15:20:00 EDT 2016

> On 20 Apr 2016, at 22:03, Ken Cornetet <Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com> wrote:
>
> That is a great mechanism. But it has the HUGE disadvantage that it is very specific to the Altair emulator. It can’t be generalized to that it can be easily applied to all simh machines. And it requires (probably) guest OS modifications. And it still requires a user-land utility.

I’m just saying that if you extend this mechanism to those systems that do _NOT_ support Kermit, this mechanism could be a replacement for Kermit (with a userland file transfer tool for the guest OS), allowing you to easily transfer files back and forth between the guest and host.

For the systems that DO support Kermit, there’s really no need for the mechanism.

If you want to go the block device route, you’d have to write file system emulators for every OS to get the FTP server to work..

Sampsa