[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Wed Apr 20 13:42:56 EDT 2016

The guest OS wouldn't care, because the guest OS wouldn't see it - there isn't a guest OS file system on the disk. The *only* thing reading or writing the bits in the guest world is the custom utility program.

For all I know, there may be some guest OSes that insist on having a native file system on a disk device. RTE and unix (the only two simh OSes I am familiar with) are perfectly happy to have a disk with no file system and let you access it as a collection of blocks.

If an OS insists on a native file system on the disk, then this scheme wouldn't work.