[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Wed Apr 20 13:36:44 EDT 2016

This is a great mechanism, but it requires that the guest OS have some native support (or be modified to support) some sort of device where you can pass a file name and then read and write data.

I actually plan to implement just such a beast on the hp2100. The plan is to create a  custom microcode instruction that will take operands describing the desired host operation perform the appropriate action. Operations would include file operations (wild card globbing, reads, writes) and possibly even socket operations.

It would be lovely if this sort of mechanism could be worked into simh in general, but given the wildly different ways this would have to grafted into each emulated machine's archetechture, I can't really see it happening.