[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 20 13:04:34 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-20 18:58, Jonathan Willams wrote:
> I think a more useful solution would be to engineer FUSE filesystems for
> various file system formats. It removes the necessity to modify simh or
> the guest OS.

Except you need to modify every host OS to add a userland bridge from
the kernel to userspace in the file subsystem, in order to then
implement the file system in userland.
Not to mention that not all systems easily even allows such a construct.

Or are you suggesting that you would implement (in Linux or whatever) a
userland implementation for each file system you might have on every
simulated system? That can also become very interesting, as some file
systems have properties that Unix do not have, so exposing this in Unix
would be rather magic. Not to mention complex.

I seriously think people are trying solve the wrong problem, as well as
not really understanding what the problems and issues are.

	Johnny