[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 20 12:58:20 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-20 18:52, Sampsa Laine wrote:
> I say forget the FTP server, create a device which can access a directory on the host OS via a special device and then code file transfer utilities for each OS that needs it, like the SIMH Altair + CP/M thing..

Slightly simpler, and there is previous art for it (the DOS device in
E11, which have been mentioned here before).
However, we still face the same issue that for anything except text
files, the copying is most likely not going to work that well, and it
requires writing either a program that reaches down to the hardware, or
a device driver for the OS, which in many cases will not be easy to do.
So I'm not sure it's really such a useful idea.
I still find Kermit the most obvious, straight forward solution. Kermit
already exists for almost any platform we might talk about. It requires
minimal hardware. Runs in userland. And manages the translation of text
files based on the host system on each platform.

Why do people want to make life more complicated?

	Johnny