[Simh] DosBox Break - was Re: HP Terminal emulators, ...

Rodney Brown rdbrown at pacific.net.au
Wed Apr 13 10:24:30 EDT 2016

On 13/04/16 23:34, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris at gmail.com
> <mailto:tfmorris at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:28 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com
>     <mailto:clemc at ccc.com>> wrote:
>

>         ​ Hang on -- BREAK is not in the old USASCII ​7 bit map.   As
>         explained in RFC 854, it was a >>key<< on the old Teletype
>         ASR33 (and the ATTEN key on the IBM 2741).   What BREAK did
>         was sent a very long (i.e. 1 second if I remember correctly)
>         "marking" time signal.
>
> ​Bad wording -- sorry see below...​
I don't remember using an Asynch terminal without a Break key, though my
Hitachi Peach lacked one, despite the terminal emulator as  ROM Basic
statement.
HP 3000 programs that didn't trim trailing blanks in output lines were
reviled over a 300 baud acoustic coupler.

Reading the MSKermit source and the DOS Encyclopedia, Kermit sends
either a 275 ms break or a 1.8 s long break.
This is done by turning on the BREAK state (SETBRK) in the 8250 Line
Control Register, pausing for the period and
turning it back off again. I'd expect other terminal emulators to be
doing something similar.

Reading the DosBox code, the NullModem serial case isn't checking for a
Telnet connection, instead doing
I don't
nullmodem.cpp:/* setBreak(val) switches break on or
off                                   **/
nullmodem.cpp-
nullmodem.cpp:void CNullModem::setBreak (bool /*value*/) {
nullmodem.cpp-    CNullModem::setRTSDTR(getRTS(), getDTR());
nullmodem.cpp-}

So it should be easy to just send the Telnet break command when Break is
turned on when telnet connected.
If so DosBox could be useful for running terminal emulators for SIMH.