[Simh] HP Terminal emulators, MSKermit with DosBox, CKermit 9 to the HP3000

Rodney Brown rdbrown at pacific.net.au
Tue Apr 12 20:41:42 EDT 2016

DosBox can be used to run the Dos HP Terminal emulator, AdvanceLink,
MSKermit 2.32 and MSKermit 3.15
to connect to the SIMH HP3000. (tested on Ubuntu 14.04 and Cygwin x86-64)
Aside from the Dec VT list MSKermit 3.15 supports Honeywell VIP7809
Heath-19 Tek4010 PT200 D217 D463 D470 Wsye50
in the SET TERMINAL TYPE list, so Prime and DG terminal types.

DosBox requires
serial1 nullmodem server:127.0.0.1 port:1054
(to connect to a local hp3000 SIMH)
The dosbox keymapper needs to be run to change Mod1 and Mod2 from
Left-Ctrl and Left-Alt for HP Terminal at least.

None of the terminal emulators could send a BREAK under DosBox. I think
that a BREAK needs to be synthesized, so DosBox
recognizing the UART behavior and converting it into a Telnet Break
command (RFC 854 (IAC, BRK == bytes 255, 243)) may be
challenging. Adding a DosBox keyboard command to send a Break when
connected by Telnet should be easy.

BREAK may work when DosBox connects to a real Serial Port

(On the HP3000, BREAK is used for initial speed sensing and within a
session resuming the command interpreter to possible kill the running
program).

HP Terminal Program (DOS) http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?swc=8
To install into DosBox the TeleDisk 2.16 images were converted to
ImageDisk format (TD02IMG),
the ImageDisk to binary (IMDU), the mounted binary floppy image
converted to an iso files.
While I converted to ISO files for DosBox's floppy changing, I think the
Terminal and AdvanceLink installers
essentially copy the files into the specified directory. Since the
DosBox shell lacks the DOS FOR statement, you'll
need to do that by hand for AdvanceLink. Both emulate a 2392 terminal.
Block mode for HP Terminal & AdvanceLink were minimally tested with
Qedit Visual mode.

C-Kermit 9.0.302 needed the following to connect to the SIMH hp3000

set telopt /client KERMIT refused refused
set telopt /client TERMINAL-TYPE refused
set telopt /client NAWS refused
set telopt /client NEW-ENVIRONMENT refused
set telopt /client COM-PORT-CONTROL refused
telnet 127.0.0.1 1054

Once connected, and having changed the Terminal Type to 9 using a small
utility, HP 3000 Kermit 1.3.1 transferred CICAT.PUB.SYS (~1MB) at ~ 1900
cps.
While I forgot to change the Terminal Type, so it would have been
throttled by Term Type 10 Enq/Ack timeouts, MSKermit 3.15 also made the
transfer.
AdvanceLink and MONITOR.PUB.SYS didn't sync up on any of my attempts.