[Simh] Pop culture references to DEC and VAX

Armistead, Jason . Jason.Armistead at otis.com
Fri Apr 8 15:40:47 EDT 2016

And now for a bit of a diversion after an otherwise fairly quiet week on the SIMH mailing list ...

Last week I was watching a DVR-ed recording of Arrow on the CW network (http://www.cwtv.com/shows/arrow ). The particular episode was "Beacon of Hope".  Just a few minutes in, as the last of the opening credits are finishing, one the main characters, Felicity Smoak, is working on a hard problem when her tech-geek offsider Curtis makes a reference to Digital Equipment Corporation and them spending $700K on the first VAX.  I had to hit rewind to make sure I heard that correctly.

Obviously someone who writes for the show is fond of old computer systems from the good-old days when DEC rule the minicomputer space, or they did a little bit of Googling and perhaps just plucked the $700K figure out of thin air !