[Simh] EXT : VAX/VMS 6.2 DECnet turned off, still resetting MAC address

Hittner, David T (IS) david.hittner at ngc.com
Tue Oct 20 16:51:26 EDT 2015

It won’t hurt your SIMH VAX to have a published “Decnet-like” MAC address of aa-00-04-00-20-10, unless there is a MAC collision on the local LAN segment. It’s just a MAC address after all.
Any decnet protocol packets that are sent out will be ignored (dropped) by the local IP router as unroutable.
Any IP packets will route in/out to the currently set MAC address *unless* you’re trying to run this connection over wireless Ethernet which is a whole different story..
If you are having MAC collision problems, you can also change the “fake” decnet address to another “fake” decnet address which doesn’t collide.

If you want to get back to the “hard assigned” 08-00-2b-aa-bb-cc MAC address, you can deinstall the DECNET package from your installation, OR stop decnet from running on system startup (to stop the decnet setup packet) .

You can also fix this by modifying the system parameters with an interactive boot and write, but I forget the details.

Dave