[Simh] VMS/VDE: Almost there

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Oct 5 05:40:37 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-05 06:43, Zachary Kline wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I’m 98% of the way there with the bridged VDE setup mentioned in my earlier thread. I appreciate all the help from folks here, and wonder if anybody might have ideas for debugging some hiccups.
> My VAX gets an IP address from the router, but can’t seem to ping it, nor any other addresses. DNS doesn’t work. Note that I’m not quite sure how to tell TCPIP services to get the name servers via DHCP.
> I’m running the VDE switch as root, configured a bogus domain in TCPIP configuration, and the bridge seems to be working as designed.
>
> Could this be a case of the wifi router dropping packets because of the wrong mac address? I can’t ping or connect to the VAX from the host, either, it just times out.
>
> I’m not sure what might help debug this, but am happy to supply any info.

I don't understand what you have done, but you appear to *not* have set
up a virtual network on your MAC. Like I said before, WiFi do not work
like ethernet, so this will not work.

(The fact that your simh VAX is getting an address from a router, and
you're talking about a bridge would suggest that you did not set up a
virtual network.)

When you set up a virtual network, you will have to set the MAC to route
packets, and the MAC will be a router. You will need a separate IP
network for this virtual network of yours, and if you plan to use DHCP,
your MAC will need to act as a DHCP server.

	Johnny