[Simh] MicroVax 3900 Networking on a Macbook Air

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Fri Oct 2 20:21:13 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on networking with my MacBook air. I used to run a virtual VMS system a few years back, but that was on Windows and/or Linux, with access to “real,” ethernet devices.
I’ve since switched to the wifi-only Macbook Air, and it isn’t cooperating very well. My copy of TCPIP services fails to get a DHCP lease.
I know that bridging with wifi adaptors is problematic, but I built with the OS X native LibPcap support, and I thought it might help.

Here is my simh version info

	Simulator Framework Capabilities:
		64b data
		64b addresses
		Ethernet Packet transport:PCAP:UDP
		Idle/Throttling support is available
		Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) support
		Asynchronous I/O support
		FrontPanel API Version 1
	Host Platform:
		Compiler: GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.0.72)
		Simulator Compiled: Sep 30 2015 at 21:53:11
		Memory Access: Little Endian
		Memory Pointer Size: 64 bits
		Large File (>2GB) support
		SDL Video support: No Video Support
		RegEx support for EXPECT commands
		OS clock tick size (time taken by msleep(1)): 2ms
		OS: Darwin Zacharys-MacBook-Air.local 15.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 15.0.0: Tue Sep 22 20:33:10 PDT 2015; root:xnu-3247.10.11.1.1~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

        git commit id: c3a879da

Show xq eth:

ETH devices:
 eth0	en0                                  (No description available)
 eth1	awdl0                                (No description available)
 eth2	bridge0                              (No description available)
 eth3	en1                                  (No description available)
 eth4	udp:sourceport:remotehost:remoteport (Integrated UDP bridge support)

en0 is the wifi adaptor I’m interested in, and bridge0 is an OS X-provided THunderbolt Bridge, which doesn’t seem particularly useful for my purposes.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Thanks much,
Zack.