[Simh] transferring files to and from v6 unix running in pdp11 emulator

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Fri Nov 20 17:07:53 EST 2015

> From: Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:35:06 -0600

> How can I efficiently copy files from my host system to unix version 6
> running in the pdp11 emulator and from unix 6 to my host system?

You have gotten a number of answers, but none of them strikes me as the
best method for what you want to do.

There is a raw 8-bit device (well, pair of devices) on the PDP-11 which
will do the trick:  The paper tape reader/punch.  Simply cat the file onto
a paper tape image, or cat it from a paper tape image into a file.  Won't
care whether it's text or binary.  Won't revise the content to match a
display (\t will stay \t).

I've used this in the past.  It works.

                                                                Rich