[Simh] DG Nova booting from another file or "device"?

Microtech Dart microtechdart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 04:21:52 EST 2015

Bruce!  This is very exciting...you actually RAN the file!  I'm so excited
to know that this is possible.

I received the screen shots in my MightyFrame email, thank you for those.

Most of what you are talking about is still Greek to me, but I'll catch up.

"The tape file itself needs to be created in the SimH tape if it is to be
used with the default SimH tape driver. The QIC format may exist as a
single large data record of 16,384 bytes, or of multiple 512-byte records
followed by a file mark. (I can not tell its original format given only the
.bin file to work with.)"

OK, so I know exactly how the data format was written to this tape.  (For
detail on the format itself, I outline it in exhaustive detail on this
page:  http://bit.ly/1RhcdK2  )  The format is neither QIC-11 nor QIC-24,
but some very weird format that I've traced back to a specific model of
Kennedy QIC tape drive.

The Minicom Disk Utility file that you ran was in one single block of data,
which was 8192 bytes long.  It was, as you indicate, the very first block
of data on the tape.  This block was followed by a filemark.

The next block after the filemark was also 8192 bytes (with nearly, but not
exactly the same content as this Minicom utility file), but thereafter,
every other block on the tape was only 4096 bytes long, as was all of the
other blocks on the entire tape. (Notice that this is either 8 or 16 times
the length of a "normal" QIC-11 or QIC-24 512-byte data block).

This tape was marked "LU0, position 1; LU1, position 2; LU2, position 3",
so I expect this tape to have those 3 logical units on it.

It seems that there are 3 more filemarks on this tape (if I counted
correctly), so then this tape has 4 files, one file for the Minicom Disk
Utility, and one file for each of the Logical Units.

I can tell you right now that the LU0 file (if that is really what it is),
is 1,331,200 bytes, or exactly 1,300 Mb (if I did the math right).  The
other 2 files I need to study more deeply to tell for sure, as they span
the tape tracks, and are more complicated for me to assemble.

Would it be best to just work with those as files, or do they need to be
kept in their original "Kennedy" block formation, or another block
formation or format?

Bruce, it is my goal to restore these tapes, and get a machine to run again
as close as possible to the way it would have when these backups were
made.  With your ability to run the Minicom file, it gives me great hope
that this is possible.

What would be my next steps to get myself working on a system that has the
capability of doing this?  I'm open to whether that is SimH, reNOVAte, or
other.

Thank you again, Bruce, this is very exciting news!

-AJ