[Simh] Tools (was: Re: Problem with reading tape with PDP-11 SIMH)

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Thu May 21 15:50:33 EDT 2015

On Thu 21 May 2015 at 11:38:31 -0700, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:
> Actually, a utility which does this has existed in the simtools file
> for MANY years (mtdump.c).

Speaking of those tools, and in particular the macro11 in it:
It's the one from http://www.dbit.com/pub/linux/macro11/ by Richard
Krehbiel, right?  That one has been modified a bit by Jörg Hoppe at
http://retrocmp.com/tools/macro-11-on-windows .  Then in 2013,
"shattered" at github (Sergey Svishchev
<shattered at users.sourceforge.net>) put this in a git repository
(probably first on sourceforge?) and hacked a bit on it, and accepted
some fixes from Toby Thain <toby.thain at fivebox.com>.

Then I came along and wanted to use it for the Kermit-11 sources as for
RSX-11M+. For that I had to change a lot of little and a few bigger
things, since those sources contained stuff that the original author
apparently hadn't contemplated.

But currently it is in a state where the most RSX-dependent file,
K11M41.MAC, assembles to an identical object file as on RSX, according
to the output from the bundled dumpobj program. (The files are not
byte-for-byte identical though, so I want to look into that some more).
It includes lots of QIO... macro calls, so the assembler does some
non-trivial processing.

This can be found at https://github.com/Rhialto/macro11, with a snapshot
of the above situation at
https://github.com/Rhialto/macro11/releases/tag/macro11-2015.05.20 .

Maybe this is already useful for somebody.

For completeness, I should mention I also found a m11 (assembler) and
l11 (linker) for 2.11BSD at
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=2.11BSD/src/new .
But that's such old code, it doesn't compile on current C compilers.

It seems that the object file format on RSX is slightly terser than that
of m11/l11 and the original Krehbiel assembler. I had to make some
adjustments to match the RSX observed files and its documentation.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'