[Simh] TOPS-20 4.1 BUGHLT

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon May 11 14:16:49 EDT 2015

On 11-May-15 13:33, Cory Smelosky wrote:

> I repeated the install, fresh structures, repeated TSU install.  No
> issues this time.

Glad you succeeded.

> Sounds like just a corrupted disk.

That really shouldn't happen, barring a crash of the host hardware, or
an unclean shutdown of the OS.  Don't do that.

>> Disk space is now so cheap that the easiest way to backup these
>> systems is
>> to simply copy the SIMH disk images (with the simulator stopped after a
>> clean
>> OS shutdown.)  That's my recommendation for all SimH machines...
>> These disks
>> are smaller than your typical video (or a couple of hundred photos).
>>

> How well do they compress?

Depends on data.  Try it and see.
Since 36 bits are stored in 64, there's an automatic inflation of 1.8x
of zeros.

After that, depends on your data & the compression.  Since most text files
aren't byte-aligned (7-bit bytes), you should use/set your compressor to
allow fairly wide codes (if it's variable width).

For common sofware: on a random disk, I've seen  7-zip compress a fairly
full
disk to 15%, zip to 30% (that's compressed size/input size, so smaller
is better.)

But it really doesn't matter.  The capacity of an RP06 is ~177MB;
notebook PCs
these days come with 500GB-2TB drives.  So you can fit 2,800 RP06s on the
 'small' drive; 11,000 on the large ones.  OK, divide by 1.8 for 1,500
/6,300.
Desktops, network storage tend to be bigger.  So a few backup copies of
your
RP06s really isn't a big deal, even uncompressed.

YMWV.