[Simh] TOPS-20 4.1 BUGHLT

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun May 10 16:48:44 EDT 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2015, at 14:45, Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10-May-15 14:14, Cory Smelosky wrote:
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> This is the generic illegal memory reference in the monitor for
>>> TOPS-20.  Could be a reference to an unmapped page; a stray pointer, or
>>> commonly a missing erjmp after a potentially unmapped reference.  There
>>> were lots of patches for various cases, but there's probably not a 'last
>>> bug'.
>> Ahhh. Wonder what caused it? All I recall doing before was building permit.
>>
>>> The additional data is the pagefail word, flags and pc.
>>>
>>> The only way to track it down is to get a crash dump and dig in.  (You
>>> might get a clue if you look at the PC with MDDT...)
>> A bit difficult considering I can't get a successful boot. ;)
>>
>> SIMH's switch register cheat sheet?
>>
>>> You might also get a clue if you run spear on the error log.
>> Again hindered by an inability to boot. ;)
> Well, we know that TOPS-20 boots on SimH when built from scratch.
> So the monitor or the disk was probably corrupted.
> As usual, you aren't providing enough detail of exactly what you did and
> how/when it fails.

I must stop sending emails about issues before leaving the house!

I had upgraded to TSU01 after installing distribution files and sed/sysdpy. I then defined DOC: in 4-1-config and built Kermit.

> While it could be a SimH issue, I'd start by assuming it's a monitor bug
> and work backwards.
> That's the only way to get close enough to identify an issue, wherever
> it is.

Would a fresh install work best to replicate as well?

> So you, or someone with TOPS-20 expertise can:
>  boot into EDDT and investigate
>  with dbugsw set, stop in MX and determine if one of the programs started
>  by MX or sysjob is triggering the bug.  Since the fault is Job 2, that
> seems likely.
>  set a breakpoint at the bughlt and backtrace.
>  boot an older version of the monitor (assuming you kept one)
>  generate a suitable patch.

I hadn't built a new monitor - I kept the 2020 install tape one.

I was too tired to remember the debug switch to the monitor executable.

> Or since you have backups of all your work, you can just build a new PS,
> restore them and see what happens.

Yeah.