[Simh] Pasting into the console

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Thu Mar 26 19:58:30 EDT 2015

A while ago when I was struggling^Wplaying with installing RSX on
simh-pdp11, I noticed that pasting bits of text into the console didn't
really work. Which was quite annoying since now I had to re-type all
those csr and vector numbers by hand.

When trying a bit more systematically, I found that in pretty much most
cases, only 1 in every 2 pasted characters was echoed.

With some added logging I discovered that all characters were however
read out properly on the "inside" of TTI, in tti_rd() in pdp11_stddev.c.
Presumably by the standalone BRU system that I used for testing.

However, there I noticed a polling time-out of tti_unit.wait. On a whim,
I tried to increase that ("examine tti state" showed a value of 100)
("deposit tti time 200"). And suddenly, pasting worked just fine. (150
didn't work).

I'm not exactly sure why this helps, since seemingly all characters
arrived fine through the TTI input buffer, but I'm happy to use it.

I already noticed there are differences in time functions between Linux
and NetBSD (which I use as host). For instance, simh refuses to allow
the cpu idle settings, based on some timing test it does. I suppose that
somehow this plays a role here too, somehow.

Maybe something similar causes the VH lines to drop characters after
about 60 or so. That is the maximum packet size that works for Kermit
when receiving. I will look again at that later.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'