[Simh] simh video

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 13:38:29 EDT 2015

I recently tried building the microVAX II version of simh with the video
controller included. However, I failed to get it to work, so I am looking
for advice on what to do next.

My system is running CentOS 6.5.

I can successfully build simh and I can boot VMS from a pre-existing file
containing VMS 7.3 and DECwindow Motif that I had used with other versions
of simh.

However, although a login box appears in the video window at the end of the
boot sequence, simh crashs shortly thereafter.

CentOS 6 includes SDL version 1.2, and my suspicion is that I need SDL 2.0
to get this to work. I tried installing SDL 2.0, but that was sufficiently
complicated that I failed to get it to work. Before I spend more time on
getting SDL 2.0 to work properly, I would like to know if this is indeed
likely to be the cause of simh crashing. From what I have read so far, I am
not sure if using SDL 2.0 is merely "a good idea" or if it is essential to
get simh to work with the video controller.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Peter Allan