[Simh] Simulating the PDP-15/76 Unichannel

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Mar 19 10:20:48 EDT 2015

On 19-Mar-15 10:13, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Just re-read the RSX-20F manual (I had almost forgotten I had read it
> before).
> In that manual, it is described in pretty good detail that they
> essentially just have an unmapped RSX-11M system. They added a device
> driver for the DTE-20, and a service task connected to that, and then
> just customized the whole thing.
>
> The manual also mentions once or twice that RSX-20F also inherited
> something from RSX-11D, but there is nothing in the manual explaining
> what actually was inherited from -11D, so I'm not sure if I should
> take that verbatim, or just a relationship note, since -11M itself was
> designed based upon -11D.
>
>     Johnny

Don't believe everything that you read.  It most definitely was NOT a
sysgened/ slightly customized version of 11M 2 or 3.something.  The
manual put the best possible spin on a one-off design.

I just finished describing the history/internals.

BTW, the DN20 DECnet comm code in the 11/34 was built on pretty standard
11s - by the same folks.  They did learn from the 20F experience.