[Simh] Simulating the PDP-15/76 Unichannel

Paul Hardy 2 paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 17 15:24:48 EDT 2015

khandy21yo said:

>> Handle the sgatrd memory likre device regosrrrs. Vapyirr rradd and erites yo the dhared memoty amf  ley code in simh hamfle the fetails og mappinh betweem yhe figgerent gormats.

The human brains ability to parse language is amazing. Without thinking I read that as:

“Handle the shared memory like device registers. Copy reads and writes to the shared memory, and key code in simh handles the details of mapping between the different formats.”

Was that right?

To keep this on track, I did use one of these XVM-15 hybrids in the late 1970s. A ‘standard’ PDP-15 was the host for my first paid software work when I joined Laser-Scan as a programmer in 1975, and I wrote some diagnostics for Sweepnik (a nuclear physics image scanner). Laser-Scan soon moved to a PDP11/45 as main machine, but continued to ship PDP-15s for a while. The last of these was an XVM-15, which arrived from DEC with its chassis rather bent, but still worked OK. I ran some commissioning tests on it, then we shipped it off with a Sweepnik, I think to the University of Cairo in Egypt.

Regards,

--

Paul  Hardy

Email:   paul at the paulhardy.net domain, web:  <http://www.paulhardy.net/> www.paulhardy.net