[Simh] Simulating the PDP-15/76 Unichannel

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Mon Mar 16 17:31:01 EDT 2015

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Bob Supnik wrote:
> Before I venture on a detailed design of a "merged" 15/11 simulator, I had
> one other thought. On today's multi-cores, it's perfectly practical to have two
> simulators running side-by-side, controlled from separate terminal windows.
> However, the two processes would need to share memory.
> Is there some simple way to do this on both Windows and Linux? I'm sure
> there's no portable solution.

Almost all (if not all) current simh host platforms have a paradigm for sharing memory between processes.  It would be relatively simple to come up with a generic simh API  to create or connect to a shared memory region.  The harder part would be to provide synchronized access and update primitives referencing such a shared memory region which provided one (or potentially more) different expected semantics which reflect the behaviors of the hardware being simulated...

- Mark