[Simh] simh

lists+simh at loomcom.com lists+simh at loomcom.com
Sat Mar 14 19:55:34 EDT 2015

* On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 07:41:30PM -0500, Bill Cunningham <billcun at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>    Are there any docs about the way simh is constructed? Is it an
> API? I know it emulates CPUs but what else?

There sure are. If you're looking for the technical nitty-gritty, you
can find a document titled "Writing a Simulator for the SIMH System"
on GitHub here:

https://github.com/simh/simh/blob/master/doc/simh.doc

It's in Microsoft Word format. I was unable to find a PDF version of
the DOC, so I've exported one here, temporarily:

http://www.loomcom.com/junk/simh.pdf

If you're interested in a more academic overview of how SIMH came to
be, you can find it here, in a paper by Maxwell M. Burnet and Robert
M. Supnik, titled "Preserving Computing's Past: Restoration and
Simulation":

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/docs/dtjn02pf.pdf

> Bill

-Seth