[Simh] 'Showstopper'

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Sat Mar 7 09:46:23 EST 2015

"Soul of a New Machine" (still have a copy) came out back when I was
still in college and we were a Data General shop with two MV/8000's.  So
it was a doubly interesting read.  Not only for the story itself but the
fact that it also applied to the actual hardware and OS we were learning
computer science on (it also explained very nicely what those eight
memory "rings" were that we kept hearing about) .  I do wish there was a
viable SIMH Eclipse emulator with AOS/VS available.  30+ years later I
still have gobs of computer printouts of various interesting AOS/VS
programs.  Many in assembler.  My first real job in the mid-80's was
working for a reseller that dealt in both DEC and Data General
hardware.  That was the last time I was able to really hack with an
AOS/VS system running on an MV/4000.

Robert