[Simh] rsx not working

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Mar 6 19:39:06 EST 2015

On Saturday, March 07, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     I used the rsx files from this site.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~n1be/pdp11/PDP11.html
>
> And compiled a pdp11 simh binary. I ran in linux...
>
> ./pdp11 sim.ini
>
> Which as a copy of the file on that page. I didn't copy run.sh the shell script.
> When I tried to boot either of the tapes the system told me it was searching
> for a telnet connection and always times out. IS there something wrong
> here?

There are lines in the sim.ini file which say:

	; Separate the simulated PDP11 Console from the Simh command window
	SET CONSOLE TELNET=10000
	;
	; Open a separate terminal window for the system console.
	; This will simulates a 132-column hardcopy terminal like the LA36.
	ECHO *  Opening a new terminal window for the PDP-11 System Console ...  *
	;! xterm -sl 10000 -sb -aw -j -T 'PDP-11 Console' -e 'telnet localhost 10000' &
	! gnome-terminal -t 'PDP-11 Console' --geometry=132x36 -e 'telnet localhost 10000' &

The last two lines attempt to start a new terminal window with a telnet session to the console port of the simulator (the first being commented out).  These are somewhat system specific commands.  You can create a separate window and in that window execute:  "telnet localhost 10000".  The reset of the commands will probably work.

If it doesn't work, It will help if you actually provided ALL of the output produced.

Good Luck.

- Mark