[Simh] Regarding "Cutler THE father of VMS" myth

Sergey Oboguev oboguev at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 18:22:12 EST 2015

> From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>

> While I think it bug Dave and others that people did not like his
> favorite system ...

"The New Hacker's Dictionary", MIT Press, 3rd edition:

"Many Unix fans generously concede that VMS would probably be the
hacker's favorite commercial OS if Unix didn't exist; though true,
this makes VMS fans furious."  ;-)

> Unix has been able to embrace the ideas easily and I do not think
> that would have been easy with VMS

It would not, which makes it even more curious that there was a pilot
effort at reimplementation of VMS on top of Mach.

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=964616
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=692228
http://www.sture.ch/vms/Usenix_VMS-on-Mach.pdf

> They wrote Mica in C++ (warped a bit to look like PL/1 IMO)

Was not it supposed to be in Pillar (kind of Pascal++)?
Or was Pillar abandoned or relegated to some other role?

http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/pdf/dec/prism/mica/Pillar_Language_Specification_Nov88.pdf