[Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Mar 4 13:30:28 EST 2015

On 2015-03-03 21:12, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> On 3 March 2015 at 14:45, Bill Cunningham <billcun at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>>     Thats what I am looking for. Simh instructions. I think from some kind of
>> OS guide for RSXs one might be able to generate the system. Am I corerct did
>> Dave Cutler with MS have anything to do with RSX ?
>>
> Correct. Dave Cutler is the "father" of RSX-11/M+, VMS, and Windows
> NT. (Yes, you may insert "WNT is VMS++" jokes here.)

This spun off a whole thread about what role Cutler had on VMS and whatnot.
Here is a text Dave wrote on this:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Windows-NT_is_VMS_re-implemented.html#forward

That said, I agree that VMS was definitely not written by just one
person, or designed by one person. People can make what they want of this.

> Interestingly I heard an anecdote that Cutler contributed so much to
> RSX-11/M+ that someone thought "Dave Cutler" was a made up name used
> by groups of programmers because "surely no one can write that much."
> I think I'm misremembering it.

No, you are not misremembering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:RSX-11

> Speaking of SIMH instructions, I've been meaning to, for a while,
> document the setup of and installation of layered products in, RSTS/E
> 10.1, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Heh... Like me with all the patches I should publish on RSX...

	Johnny