[Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Tue Mar 3 16:26:41 EST 2015

On Tue 03 Mar 2015 at 13:05:50 -0500, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
> My simulator config is big, and somewhat redundant, I actually have
> the installation phase and its tape swap automated with:
> SET TU0 LOCK
> ATTACH TU0 TAP\BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap
> BOOT TU0
> ATTACH TU0 TAP\BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap
> CONTINUE
> I have the tapes in a subfolder called "TAP". And I swap the tapes
> between drives after the standalone boot tape has booted by just
> hitting Ctrl+E just once.

Nice trick! I've used it immediately in my test setup. This time I
started with a configuration which is closer to the system I had set up
already anyway.

After quadruple checking the csr and vector addresses (and no, if SHOW
TU doesn't list them, it doesn't mean they are fixed and therefore
correct; instead I had to do SHOW RHB to find the values. This might be
a small point of improvement for simh; I could also use some help from
simh to find out that connection, which may be obvious to the
experienced, but it wasn't for me. I only discovered it by crosschecking
device names in my running RSX system)

One difference that at first I did not understand, was that I got this:

BRU - Starting Tape 1 on MM0:

BRU - This disk will not contain a hardware bootable system

BRU - End of Tape 1 on MM0:

BRU - Starting verify pass Tape 1 on MM0:

BRU - End of Tape 1 on MM0:

BRU - Completed

However, after reading the actual documentation :)
AA-H431H-TC_RSX-11M-PLUS_4.3_System_Generation_and_Installation_Guide_Jan90.pdf
I see that I need to swap the tapes between booting and running BRU.
I didn't see that happening in your log file somehow, although you do
mention it.

Anyway, by also copying from the tape I booted from, I probably copied a
bit too much. Any way to get a listing of what's on the tape?

Both files are not small:

 11M  BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap	<-- booted off this one
 30M  BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap <-- contains the string
      ***THIS VOLUME DOES NOT CONTAIN A HARDWARE BOOTABLE SYSTEM ***

I've attached my console log. I've stopped at the point where I get the
MCR prompt, I haven't done the sysgen. I have removed extraneous ^Ms for
readability.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'