[Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Mar 3 16:08:29 EST 2015

Quick comments...

On 2015-03-03 18:25, Rhialto wrote:
> On Tue 03 Mar 2015 at 11:00:15 -0500, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:
>> I've attached an installation log from those above mentioned tapes
>> done on SIMH just a short while ago. As can be seen they are Y2K
>
> Ah, with a quick looks I see 2 differences: you use a different tape
> device (I used ms1: -- I had the 2 tapes mounted at the same time), and
> you specify csr and vector numbers. I'll try later which of the two
> makes the difference.
>
> Part of my config:
>
> attach tm0 BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap

This would be the full system.

> attach tm1 BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap

This is slightly weird, as the normal RSX distribution of V4.6 is just
one tape that holds both BRUSYS and the distribution.

> and I found some logs of what happened for me before
> (with a bit of cut and paste to insert a recent output of /dev).
>
> $ ./pdp11 rsx.ini
>
> PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: af713b78
> Disabling XQ
> sim> boot tm
>

> RSX-11M/RSX-11M-PLUS Standalone Copy System V04
>

> RSX-11M/RSX-11M-PLUS Standalone Configuration and Disk Sizing Program
>
> Valid switches are:
>          /CSR=nnnnnn to change the default device CSR
>          /VEC=nnn to change the default device vector
>          /FOR=n to change the default magtape formatter number
>          /DEV to list all default device CSR and vectors
>

> Enter first device: /dev
>
> Device      CSR     Vector   CSR Status
> ------     ------   ------   ----------
> DB         176700    254     Not Present
> DK         177404    220     Not Present
> DL         174400    160     Not Present
> DM         177440    210     Not Present
> DP         176714    300     Not Present
> DR         176300    150     Not Present
> DU         172150    154     Present
> MM FOR=0   172440    330     Not Present
> MS         172522    224     Present
> MT         160000    320     Not Present
> MU         174500    260     Not Present
>
> Enter first device: ms1:
>
> Enter second device: du0:
>
> Hit RETURN and enter date and time as 'TIM HH:MM MM/DD/YY'
>
>> run bru
>>
> BRU>ms1: du0:
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Tape label error
> I/O error code -3
>
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Volume not a backup tape
>
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Rewind error
> I/O error code -3
>
> BRU - Mount Tape 1 on MS1:

Try MS0: instead. That would, I suspect, work fine, since that tapes
contains both the BRUSYS system (which you booted), and the full
distribution after.

The BRU tape, which was separate in older systems, held only the BRUSYS
image, which you booted. And then you needed to switch tapes to the
distribution tape, to restore from.

The taped named _BRU would not be holding the actual distribution, but
only the BRUSYS image.

	Johnny