[Simh] Is Alpha AXP in SIMH's future?

Sergey Oboguev oboguev at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 15:44:03 EST 2015

The downside of running a 32-bit version of virtually any AXP simulator
is that it is bound to be 2-3 times slower than 64-bit version, due to

(a) simulation of AXP 64-bit operations on top of 32-bit host operations,

(b) indirect access to guest memory when it is sized above 2 GB or so
    assuming such an access is implemented at all.

The only exception to (a) would be a 64-bit simulator squeezed into 32-bit
environment running on 64-bit machine, but this is hardly worth the effort.