[Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:00:15 EST 2015

I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I can't really give a proper response.

On 3 March 2015 at 05:24, Rhialto <rhialto at falu.nl> wrote:
> These are the corrupted tape files. BRU doesn't seem to like either of
> them.
>
> BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap
> BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap
> from
> http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/rsx11mplus/

Those tape images work perfectly well. I have built several RSX-11/M+
systems from them; including a multiprocessor 11/74 setup on E-11.
("Only" three processors working instead of all four, because of a bug
in E-11; so any chance we can get some 11/74 goodness in SIMH,
please?)

I've attached an installation log from those above mentioned tapes
done on SIMH just a short while ago. As can be seen they are Y2K
aware, and they produce a functional and usable RSX-11/M+ system. Of
course it needs more software to make it do anything "neat", other
than RMD (and MACRO-11). BRU on the bootable standalone RSX-11/M tape
(BB-J0830-01.M01) can read the savesets on BB-J0830-01.L01 just fine.
Though you do have to make sure the /MAX: and /HEADERS: fields have
the correct values, otherwise the resultant disk image won't work.

However, the RSX-11 layered product tapes found on the Trailing Edge
FTP site are mostly corrupted, unfortunately. Conversely, the RSTS/E
layered product tapes seem to be fine for the majority (though some
are in TPC format), as is the RSTS/E 10.1-L installation tape.

The SYSGEN process I followed is from AA-H431H-TC; while it is for
RSX-11/M+ 4.3, the process is precisely similar, and in fact after
starting the SYSGEN (with "@SYSGEN") it pretty much explains itself.
The manual itself can be found on BitSavers, right here:
<http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dec/pdp11/rsx11/RSX11Mplus_V4.x/2a/AA-H431H-TC_RSX-11M-PLUS_4.3_System_Generation_and_Installation_Guide_Jan90.pdf>

The manual also tells exactly the values to use for the /MAX: and
/HEADERS: switches to the standalone BRU when loading the system from
the tapes; Table 2-1 in the text, text page 2-11, PDF page 41.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove