[Simh] SDS 940 TSS bring-up update

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 00:41:17 EST 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Mark Emmer <markemmer at snobol4.com> wrote:

> In 2010 I retired and moved to Mexico. I did not pursue the 940 project
> until a former NBS colleague, Howard Bussey, broached the subject in
> January, 2014, with suggestions of alternative approaches. In turn, that
> prodded me to write a number of tools to scan the file collection looking
> for needed components of the Monitor and Executive, and to create a
> simulated drum.  Debugging and development has continued intermittently for
> the last 14 months, resulting in a state of work that perhaps merits wider
> discussion of where to go with it, and whether anyone else wants to join my
> efforts.
>

> At the end of this e-mail are my notes on the current project status.  In
> summary, I have a nice running SDS 940 time sharing system with components
> to edit, assemble and link code.  In the “eating your own dog food”
> department, I can assemble, link and run the system and make changes to it;
> no cross-assembly necessary. I have no doubt that if I installed the
> simulator on a Raspberry Pi attached to my router, any of you could telnet
> in and have a productive session.

I have absolutely zero interest in SDS Anything, but want to celebrate and
applaud the effort.  Very, VERY, cool!

Of course, it goes without saying that the effort of Bob (with whom I
briefly shared an office space in PK3 (no O required) during DEC's twilight
days) deserves a large portion of the credit.

Tom