[Simh] IO ports 8 bit bidirectional like in C64

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Jun 27 21:14:45 EDT 2015

Bill

The 8 bit I/O ports on the C64 are based on the MOS Technology 6500 Family parts. The first of these was the 6520 PIA.  You can Check http://www.6502.org/documents/datasheets/mos/ for the datasheets.  By the time of the C64 I believe they were using the 6522 but I've forgotten. Google is your friend here.

Btw the 6502 was the most used microprocessor for a very long time.  This is different from the most used in new designs (which in thoses days was the Z80). But the be sides being in all the Apple devices and other small personal computers from my favorite (KIM-1) and the C64 it was used in many game decks, arcade equipment  and became the definition of the "toaster" processor during the C standards meetings because it was hidden in so many things.

Clem

Sent from my iPhone