[Simh] EXT :Re: TU58 device for PDP-11s

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jun 26 20:52:26 EDT 2015

On 2015-06-26 20:10, Timothe Litt wrote:

> On 26-Jun-15 13:43, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
>>
>> What PDP-11 used TU58’s, and what controller did the drive connect to?
>>
>> Dave
>>
> 11/23, 11/44, VT103, HSC50 -- among others.

Yes.

> Host: Any RS232/423 (dumb) interface, e.g. DL(V)11, MXV11.  9600 - 38400
> BPS using a packet protocol (RSP, IIRC) with XON/XOFF flow control

RSP was the initial protocol. There were some issues with it that meant
it had problems on loaded/slow systems, so a modified version was
developed, called MRSP if I remember right. Very similar, though.

> The drive itself has an embedded 8085 CPU that is the real controller.
> It's not terribly smart.
>
> The protocol is roughly similar to MSCP (lighter-weight); the tape is
> block-addressable, normally the 512 byte DEC standard block, although
> there's a 128 byte record mode for dealing with buffering/comm issues.
> Normally the controller assembles 4 records to make a block.  Cartridge
> is formatted with 512 blocks of 512 bytes each (0.25 MB).

Eh? In which way would it be similar to MSCP? I can't see any relation
at all, unless you just mean that you read and write blocks with it. But
then again, that is true of any controller.
However, it is very simple. You can hack together a driver in almost no
time. And, as mentioned, the hardware is just a serial port.

	Johnny